Are severely painful hands and thumb pads indicative of carpal tunnel syndrome?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 11 Oct 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am in a lot of pain but not sure if it is carpel tunnel or something else. it is very painful in my thumb pad. I try to 'stretch' it out by pulling or even acting like I am doing push ups with my hands. The weight pressure is excruciating, but it feels like I am doing a serious muscle pull/strain. My index finger and others are also 'starting to get affected' but more importantly is I can't open anything. I have no use of my right hand to turn/use it for anything. I bought over the counter brace to see if this would help. I still have to use computer all the time for work - mouse, phone, PC etc. ABout 12 years ago I was treated for tendonitis, not carpel tunnel..do you think this is it? It's definitely 'on fire' on the inside of my forearm all the way up to my shoulder.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
carpal tunnel syndrome v/s tendinitis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

The symptoms that you have described seem to be a mixed picture of carpal tunnel syndrome and early tendinitis.

Tingling numbness in thumb and adjoining 2 fingers with pain and weakness of grip are predominantly the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Tendinitis has more of a pain factor while tingling numbness is rare to occur.

An MRI of the wrist with electromyography and nerve conduction study of the median nerve of the affected hand will help to differentiate between the 2 conditions.

In my opinion ,your symptoms point more towards carpal tunnel syndrome.

Take adequate rest,compression bandage over wrist,hand elevation with analgesic anti inflammatory tablets like ibuprofen,tramadol will help.

Pregabalin/methylcobalamin tablets will help reduce the nerve inflammation.

Apply local analgesic gel followed by hot fomentation.

Consult an orthopedist if the symptoms do not improve.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana