Are severe pain and swelling in eye along with wheezing symptoms of cellulitis?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Infections
Question: Hi I have had cellulitis 5 times in 3 mths and each time it has been resilient to amoxicillin now I have a severe pain behind the eye with minor swelling in the outer area surrounding the eye also Dr noticed a wheeze in my lower left lung he prescribed me amoxicillin but didn't take any additional tests I am worried about orbital cellulitis or pneumonia
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please provide more information

Detailed Answer:

where was your cellulitis the other times? Did you have orbital cellulitis again? Is there any redness or purulent discharge? Fever?
Did your doctor auscultate your lungs?

Please provide any additional details which may help me understand your situation better, including all your symptoms and medical history. Remember that I can't see or examine you, so I'm counting on your description only!

One thing to note here, is that amoxicillin (or any antibiotic) is not preferred if it has been recently used (less than 3 months before).

I'll be glad to comment more on your case, when you provide the details!

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
hi i have had cellulitis on my legs my wrist and my big toe i haven't yet had it in my eye i am just concerned since i have had it on different parts of my body that the symptoms i am having and experiencing i feel exhibit orbital cellulitis as the pain in the eye is the worst i have felt and the headache is right behind the eye i have observed swelling around the eye and under the eyelids. in regards to my lungs the doctor i saw was not my usual Doctor and was treated like a textbook case with out offering chest X-ray or blood test to rule out pneumonia because where we live at the moment there is currently a flu outbreak what advice can you give me about a second opinion as i feel misdiagnosed
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
flu is possible

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the additional info.
Orbital cellulitis is a rare and very serious diagnosis. Pain is not the only symptom. Redness, pus, vision problems, etc may accompany this disease. Pain "behind the eyes" is sometimes a symptom of the flu. If your doctor has examined you and there were no findings from the lungs or the eyes, I believe you should trust the diagnosis.

If you'd like to be certain about pneumonia, a chest X-ray would suffice to confirm or exclude it. Orbital cellulitis should have visible signs like the ones I've mentioned. A CT scan of the area should prove the existence of an abscess.

Kind Regards!