Owl Image

Are repeated ultrasounds necessary for notching observed in pregnancy?

Question
My daughter has been told at her 20 week ultrasound that there is some notching. Is it really necessary now to go for repeated ultrasounds? Is there any remedy/exercise she should be doing? If aspirin is prescribed as a blood thinner, could she also take vitamin E instead?
Any suggestions would be appreciated,
XXXX
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YES she will need regular ultrasounds.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

YES she will need regular ultrasounds.

This is because we need to see whether the notching worsens or improves.

She can do lamaze exercises . It increases blood flow. Detailed techniques are given in lots of websites.

Yes aspirin will be needed and NO, vitamin E is not a substitute.

She should also take arginine granules sachets once a day for 4 weeks. It will increase blood supply to the baby and the notching should disappear.

Feel free to consult me directly
http://bit.ly/drsombiswas

Dr. Som Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Are repeated ultrasounds necessary for notching observed in pregnancy? 2 days later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX Biswas,

Thank you for your answer. Just before my time will run out I would like to ask you another question regarding the L-Arginine granules sachets. It seems more difficult to get them here in Canada. I have found L-Arginine powder and wonder if you could tell me the dosage. Is is 3 grams per day for the powder as well? I must say that my daughter is rather reluctant to take anything without the 'permission' of her doctor.

I guess L-Arginine is still a controversial issue in Canada. If you have the time you may want to look at the following link:

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2006/9354r-eng.php

I hope to hear from you,
thanks again,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:

L-Arginine powder is same as satchet and is equally good.

There is no harm or controversy with using this but if its controversial in Canada then i will advise you to not take it.

The rest of the treatment you can continue as it is and will be sufficient for curing the notching.

Dr. Som