Are repeated ultrasounds necessary for notching observed in pregnancy?

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: My daughter has been told at her 20 week ultrasound that there is some notching. Is it really necessary now to go for repeated ultrasounds? Is there any remedy/exercise she should be doing? If aspirin is prescribed as a blood thinner, could she also take vitamin E instead?
Any suggestions would be appreciated,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YES she will need regular ultrasounds.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

YES she will need regular ultrasounds.

This is because we need to see whether the notching worsens or improves.

She can do lamaze exercises . It increases blood flow. Detailed techniques are given in lots of websites.

Yes aspirin will be needed and NO, vitamin E is not a substitute.

She should also take arginine granules sachets once a day for 4 weeks. It will increase blood supply to the baby and the notching should disappear.

Feel free to consult me directly
http://bit.ly/drsombiswas

Dr. Som Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Follow up: Dr. Som Biswas 2 days later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX Biswas,

Thank you for your answer. Just before my time will run out I would like to ask you another question regarding the L-Arginine granules sachets. It seems more difficult to get them here in Canada. I have found L-Arginine powder and wonder if you could tell me the dosage. Is is 3 grams per day for the powder as well? I must say that my daughter is rather reluctant to take anything without the 'permission' of her doctor.

I guess L-Arginine is still a controversial issue in Canada. If you have the time you may want to look at the following link:

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2006/9354r-eng.php

I hope to hear from you,
thanks again,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:

L-Arginine powder is same as satchet and is equally good.

There is no harm or controversy with using this but if its controversial in Canada then i will advise you to not take it.

The rest of the treatment you can continue as it is and will be sufficient for curing the notching.

Dr. Som