Are redness and pain around urethra symptoms of STD?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Men's Health
Question: Hello,

About a week and a half ago I mutually masturbated with another male of unknown status (however he did state that he was tested clean, I've just never seen the test results). During this he used his saliva as lubricant but there was absolutely no direct contact with his genitals.

I was a bit wigged out by my stupidity in engaging in this practice and about a day after this incident I began to notice a slight itching in my urethra that comes and goes throughout the day. There is no discharge and only a slight redness around the outside of the urethra. I have not had any sexual contact however have continued to masturbate myself 1X per day since then.

I am curious what the chances are that I have contracted an STD through this contact given that I am having some mild symptoms of a UTI and he used his saliva as lubricant. Is there any reason for me to go get tested (other than peace of mind?) for chlamydia or gonorrhea or is it more likely that I may be showing signs of a non-specific urethritis? (or could this even be more psychogenic?).

I was diagnosed with chlamydia about a year ago and was treated accordingly with Azithromycin. I did have similar symptoms to my current situation about 3 months ago but when I went in for testing the UA was completely clean and no chlamydia or gonorrhea were detected.

Thank you for the help.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is due to infection and of urethra (Urethritis)

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you had oral sex from a male partner following which you have developed itching ,redness and pain in genital (Urethra)

First of all be rest assured that this is not STD.One acquires STD only through intra vaginal sex with a female partner or through anal sex from a male partner.

Oral cavity of a human being contains plenty of bacterial flora .Your present symptoms are mostly due to infection of your Urethra or due to herpes I infection transmitted through saliva.

Please get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1)Routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.
2) Swab test of urethral discharge to rule out Herpes 1 infection.

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefexine along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 28 hours later
Thank you very much for your quick response.

Since he did not put his mouth on my penis but rather spit in his hand and use that as lubricant, does that mean that I can stop worrying about it being a chlamydial/gonococcal infection? I was under the impression that to contract chlamydia you needed to have contact with a mucus membrane that is infected. Can chlamydia live in saliva alone?

I will definitely contact my local physician and get the testing that you suggest. Just to clarify though, I should more expect the result to be along the lines of a non-gonococcal/non-chlamydial urethritis, correct?

Thank you again.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is neither Chlamidia nor Gonnorhoea.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
Both the infections that you have mentioned are acquired through penetrative intra vaginal sex with a infected female partner
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.