Are red swollen bumps on body symptoms of west nile virus?

Question
I have developed these bumps on my torso arms legs and head. They are single, in pairs, or small groups. They look like insect bites that become very red and swollen. They are sore and each day I find two or more new ones somewhere on my body. West Nile Virus has been found in our area. Could this be a rash from the virus?
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Does sound like it, but will need confirmation

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like to let you know that I am here to help.

The rash characteristically seen with West Nile Virus is a maculopapular rash, which means that it is a flat red area without any definitive borders and usually consists of a bump that is slightly raised.

Based on the provided description ma'am, I do feel that there could be a chance your presentation is linked with the West Nile Virus, but of course a physical examination in a case like yours is pivotal. I thus suggest consultation with a doctor experienced with such cases (such as those practicing in your region). And if at all it is not, then the physical examination would also give direction to your doctor to finding the cause for it and treating it accordingly.

I hope you find my response helpful and I also hope your presentation is something simple and not complicated. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.