Are red spots on tongue and burning sensation in mouth symptoms of oral HPV?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: About a week ago had a lot of postnasal trip and drainage throat got tight had pain in both tonsils.
Tongue swollen and sore on right side . Burning sensation in entire mouth particularly right side of tongue. Irritation. Got worse after eating and I would notice red marks along the side of my tongue Found this when dried my tongue. Is it swollen papillae or HPV? It's on the top outside of the tongue when you flatten the tongue out but it's outside of the white filiform papillae.
XXX

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Inflamed tongue mucosa... No signs of oral HPV...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have gone through the images thoroughly and understood your problem. None of the images show any signs of oral HPV infection. There are inflamed papillae over the side of the tongue secondary to Upper Respiratory Tract Infection.

The inflammation of the mucosa is very common following an attack of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI). Following URTI, there is drop in the immunity levels of the body due to which the outer epithelial layer of the oral cavity mucosa gets damaged, leading to burning sensation.

Do not worry! It is one of the commonest problems seen in an out-patient department. My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Try taking plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables
3. Oral multi-vitamins can help in replenishing the damaged mucosa
4. Avoid chilled food and beverages, fizzy drinks, smoking, coffee, hot food and beverages

Hope with the above measures you should get better. Revert back to me if you have any follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 29 minutes later
What threw me off were the finger like projections.
The superfine hairs are from the cotton swab. How would it look different if it were HPV?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Inflamed mucosal glands...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

The lesions of HPV look like wart or elevated keratinised lesions. http://www.entusa.com/oral_photographs/oral-papilloma-4L[1].jpg
http://pakedu.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Oral-HPV-infections-of-a-common-sexually-transmitted-disease.jpg

The finger like projections seems to be the inflamed, harmless mucosal glands. That is not a sign of HPV infection.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 43 minutes later
Thank you so much.
God bless you for being so prompt and taking the time to review.
Brief Answer:
The signs on your tongue is very different from that of verrucous lesions..

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back

Please do not feel sorry. You can ask any number of doubts; we are here to help you.

The lesions shown in the images are entirely different from that of yours. You have sporadic finger like projections of the mucosa without keratinization. Whereas, in the oral HPV lesions the verrucous structures (finger-like) are tightly packed with keratinization which can be easily differentiated.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 37 minutes later
Thank you so much! That makes me feel a lot better.
A LOT. you've been a blessing today.
Thanks for your attention.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wish you good health and good luck...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Wish you good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T