• question-icon

    Are red patches on the penis sign of STD?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Penis Problems
Question: Hi,

I am a black circumcised male and I have red patches on my penis. There has been no blood and I do not have an STI. some of the patches are raised and some are flat. It is a little bit sore and sometimes a bit dry. I have tried 2 types of anti fungal cream but it has got worse instead of getting better. Does the redness indicate infection? Can I try antibiotics? I would like your advice please. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics can cure an infected lesion.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, i can understand your concern.

Having gone through the photographs, it could be an infection or a STD.
STD is sexually transmitted disease.
As discussed earlier, you'll need to do the following :

1. Get an examination of the groin and genitalia, by an Urologist or skin specialist.
2. Blood routine,creatinine, RBS,LFT,platelets,VDRL,HIV,and HbsAg.
3. Stop the anti-fungal cream.

Antibiotics do cure some of these lesions,but it can be started only after, a close check-up.
Ensure proper penile hygiene.
There should be no moisture remaining on the penis head, after a wash.

Wish you well.
You may send the reports here,for an expert opinion.

Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Matthew J. Mangat


Practicing since :1981

Answered : 1897 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Vdrl

doctor1 MD

I am 32 year old man. I had XXXXXXX encounter with 3 man in massage parlour in three different days. In all the 3 cases we have used condoms but in...

doctor1 MD

I have a question about a recent intercouse with a stripper

doctor1 MD

Hi. I'm concerned about possible std risk I'm in xxxxxxxxxxx on holidays and met a Thai girl. My condom broke which left me exposed I went to the...

doctor1 MD

R/dr I was suffering from the VDRL positive and the same was treated by the doctor.the doctor checkde the VDRL report and sidt to me the infection...

doctor1 MD

Hi, Azax 500 will reduce vdrl infection? it yes how long i have to take this medicine ?how do i get to know that vdrl infection is cured, when i...

doctor1 MD

Self is kamal,

i had a test for VDRL and it was positive, & now I did TPHA result has not come yet. i never had sex with any one in my life accept...

doctor1 MD

Ok so I had to get tested for VDRL and TPHA, but I ve only been tested for VDRL for now and it came back non-reactive so are there chances that...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

174 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Matthew J. Mangat
  • Q - What does discoloration on the penis head indicate?

  • Q - Is sexual intercourse after a varicocele operation risky?

  • Q - What does numbness in pelvic area after using weed indicate?

  • Q - What causes bowel and urinary discomfort post radiation for prostate...

  • Q - Is Moxicip advisable when on treatment for TB ?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for UTI and blood in urine

  • Q - Suggest treatment for intermittent pain in right testicle

  • Q - What do recurrent UTI and incontinence after TOT cystoscopy indicate?

  • Q - What do these below lab reports indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for blood in urine, headaches and chills