Are red lights and lasers harmful for facial skin?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Do red lights or red lasers cause any physical changes to your face or body? Or cause any changes or harm to your eyes? If stepping under red lights or red laser lights.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Red light and lasers are not harmful to our face or body.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to HealthcareMagic,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

Red light and lasers are not harmful to our face or body but it may cause temporary damage to our retina if it exceeds safe limit.
Temporary exposure up to 5 milliwatts is considered as safe limit(if it is directly focused to our eyes) and our eyes can be protected by blink reflex.
Beyond 5 milliwatts,blink reflex of our eyes can't protect from harmful effects of red light/laser.
Most laser companies comply this safe limit.

Diffuse red light is not harmful to our body.

Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.
Please rate may answer if you are satisfied.

Take Care
Dr. Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad