Are recurring bruises on the shin of legs signs of leukemia?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Cancer
Question: Hi. I have these recurring bruises in the shin of my legs. they keep occurring and I don't remember getting hurt. this has been happening for more than a year. my kid is now 2.5 years old. these bruises change from Green to red color lot and fade off in 1-2 weeks. no pain. Google leads to leukemia. I am concerned.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
not likely to be leukemia

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concerns. But this is very unlikely to be leukemia. In leukemia there can be bruising but platelets are low in that and it would get a lot worse in just 1-2 months, without treatment. So one year of stable symptoms rule out leukemia.

It could be due to unnoticed trauma or coagulation problem or vit c deficiency. You can get a coagulation profile done. Vit c supplements can be tried as well.

Even if no cause is found, if the serious things are ruled out then nothing to worry.

Hope this helps.