Are rashes on arms related to HIV?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: hey I recently had a possible exposure to hiv. I had unprotected oral and protected intercourse with a female. it's been 22 days and no sore throat and no fever but I'm getting a little rash on arms. I feel good other wise. but I'm stressing really bad and having anxiety. could this be a possible hiv symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I do not think it is due to HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

As per your clinical features,In my opinion,it does not look to be due to HIV infection or even any other STDs.

Generally, HIV can present with symptoms of fever,chills,night sweats,nausea,vomiting, and diarrhea or occasionally cough and shortness of breath or lymph node enlargement during the first 3-4 weeks after exposure.

So,it is very unlikely that theses rashes could be due to HIV infection.

Also,it is quite uncommon that HIV can spread through protected intercourse or even unprotected oral sex.

Your rashes could be because of some other infection or might be some allergic.

After clinical inspection of that rashes,a doctor can arrive at a certain diagnosis.

So,better to seek advise from local physician or dermatologist who can help you.

Hope this will help you.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
one other quick question, i feel much better by the way... also can I take an oraquick rapid test at 6 weeks for pretty good results? just for piece of mind?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow-up.

You can go for ora quick test to be damn sure or for peace of mind.

Ora quick HIV home test is a recent rapid diagnostic test to detect HIV infection.

It acts by detecting antibodies present in oral cavity in saliva. If the result comes negative (which is likely in your case) then there will be no requirement of any other test.

Also,ora quick test is for those who are reluctant to go for blood tests or those who cannot go to laboratory. It is a rapid and ready diagnostic tool but the sensitivity is only 90 to 95 % hence the positive results have to be confirmed by blood tests.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina