Are raised rashes in the scalp and inner thighs indicative of fungal infections?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: It began with a light rash on my back that itched. It was almost invisible except where I scratched at it. After 2 months of home treatments I went to a clinic where they prescribed Triamcinolome Acetonide cream 0.1% and assured me it was not the beginning of shingles. The cream didn't seem to make a difference. Now, 6 months later, the itching and only very slightly raised rash seems to be on my scalp at the hairline, in the crease of my inner thigh and on an old c-section scar. My husband struggles with fungal infections on his feet and toenails. I am wondering if this too could be fungal?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is a possible cause

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Fungal lesions on the skin tend to be raised especially at the edges and in some cases there may be a scaliness to them as well.

They also have a liking for skin folds such as the inner thigh (because of the heat and moisture in skin folds)

Based on what you are saying then it is possible that the rash is fungal. If it was dermatitis or a reaction, should have responded to the steroid creams used.
Fungal rashes can take 2 to 3 weeks to respond to treatment.

YOu may want to consider oral anti fungals for at least 2 weeks eg terbinafine or itraconazole.
if this is not an option then you can try a topical antifungal for 2 to 3 weeks eg nizoral, miconazole, econazole, ketoconazole, clotrimazole
They would have be consistently used twice daily for at least 2 weeks.

I hope this helps, feel free ask any other questions