Ask a Urologist   »  

Are phenazopyridine, SMZ-TMP DS and Nitrofurantoin advisable while having pain in the urethra?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I am having symptoms of a bladder infection. I have no bladder cramps, rather pain in my urether. I have some meds, about a year old which I have kept for an emergency like I'm having. I have phenazopyridine, 200 mg; smz/tmp, 400-80mg; and nitrofurantoin;100 mg. Can I take some of these to relieve the pain?
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can take medicines that you have

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .Based on the facts that you have you have UTI and have some medicines with you .

You can take those medications twice daily provided those are not expired .

Take urine alkalizer like Ural or Citralka along with these drugs

Ensure to drink more water .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.