question-icon

Are persistent watery stools a cause for concern?

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: I've had watery stools for several months, sometimes just clear liquid, lots of gas with multiple trips to toilet daily. I've had all the typical stool tests with negative results. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Supportive care and work up for other etiologies

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
I read your question and i understand your concern. Watery stools for months at age of 79 with normal stool test, is likely an irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea predominant. Just modify diet and lifestyle, take some imodium,continue taking probiotics, prefer fibrous diet and more fluids, avoid triggers like spices, dairy products, fatty foods, processed and canned foods, soda, beverage, alcohol etc and prefer yogurt and peppermint in every meal as that help being best natural probiotic and antispasmodic respectively.

You should also talk to a gastroenterologist to rule out some other pathologies like inflammatory bowel disease or diverticulitis etc.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan