Are painless vaccines less effective than painful vaccines?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: Sir,

yesterday,the 6th week vaccinations(1st dose dtp,pertussis,rotavirus,pcv) is given to my son.painless vaccines.i am now reading in many forums,that it is less effective than the painful ones.i have also read that for the 10th week and 14th week i have to go for the painless one(as the 1st dose is of painless type),i cannot shift to painful,is it true? if its true,is it possible that i restart with the painful one from tomorrow(as the 6th week 1st dose)

Thank You sir
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your concerns but don't worry. Painful vaccines having whole cell pertussis are definitely better for long term. But if you give painless injections as planned by your doctor at monthly interval (3 doses) followed by boosters consisting of whole cell pertussis at 18 months and 5 years, then your baby will be equally well protected for long term.

No need to go for repeat vaccination immediately at all.

Hopefully it will be of help.