Are painful breasts signs of breast cancer?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 in Cancer
Question: hi.
I am 18 years old and my grandmother had breast cancer. should I go for a mammogram at this age? am I at risk? I have no breast abnormalities except my breasts are painful. but I've heard that this is normal at this age.

any advice?

thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Self exam once a month; mammogram annually, that should suffice :)

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I do not think you need to worry too much. Hormonal fluctuations will keep occurring, especially during and around your period which can cause your breasts to become tender to the touch and even a little enlarged from time to time.

Although, because you do have a family history of breast cancer, not just now, but for the rest of your life go about a monthly self-examination at home (to be conducted by yourself); and an annual mammogram. This always helps keep things safe and prevents and uncomfortable situations or negligent cases.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.