Are pain medications safe to take post intake of cervical corticosteroid injection?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Pain Management
Question: Can my mom take pain meds and ambien after a cervical corticosteroid injection? She had the shot early this morning
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
frankly, narcotics are safer

Detailed Answer:
the medication in the injection is a small amount in a very small space, the amount in pill form would hardly be noticeable (corticosteroid) or not at all noticeable (if there is lidocaine, the lidocaine is metabolized in minutes).
BUT
there is at least a 30% chance of some bruising. Generally not enough for anyone to care about.
AND
aspirin like drugs might impede clotting and make the bruising worse.

frankly narcotics and/or ambien are safer.