Are pain in the right lung and history of severe pain in thigh indicative of pulmonary embolism?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 1 Aug 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: I am a 72 y.o. woman, woke up this am with pain in my right lung, I have no shortness of breath, but just now coughed out a small amount of brown discharge. Couple of night ago I had a severe pain in my thigh, it was very scary, I couldn't even move. Is it possible that I have a blood cloth in my right lung?
how long will it take for an answer?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is not pulmonary embolism mostly

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HCM

I can understand your concern

I have gone carefully through your concern and according to the history you describe the pain i don't think this might be due to a lung clot.Usually breathlessness is the main sign of the pulmonary embolism.

However if you want to be sure probably an ultrasound of the low extremities left and right may help clear the situation of the veins which are the first place of clots .

So i advise you to monitor the situation. If you feel bbreathlessness than you should see your doctor, if not than no worries.

Hope to have been helpful

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T