Are pain in joints and hands signs of arthritis?

Posted on Wed, 12 Oct 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 51. I work in a commercial kitchen. My hands (knuckles) have been hurting a lot lately. My grandmother had arthritis, and I'm wondering if I may be getting it. Is there a test? Should I change jobs to something less hard on my hands?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to get your rheumatoid profile

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. Pain in hand and other joints is suggestive of rheumatoid or seronegative arthritis. As you have family history of Rheumatoid arthritis I would suggest you to go through these tests.
1.CRP, Ra factor and ESR
2.Anti CCP antibody.
If you have Ra factor positive then prognosis is slightly bad. You need to take Anti Rheumatoid medication though you can continue with your job for some time.There is no co relation of pain with activity rather more activity will decrease pain.
I hope these steps will be helpful for you. Take Advil or burden for pain relief till you get these investigations.
thanks
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement