Are pain and swelling in the elbow indicative of Elbow bursitis?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 in Lump
Question: I have a sore elbow I discovered the other day while walking with my walker (I am89 y.o. and weight 163 pounds.) I have scoliosis and to take some torso weight off my back I lean my lower arms near the elbow on the handles of my walker,
The elbow joint was painful as I palpated the area, andthere was a large (goose egg sized) swollen area adjacent on my lower arm. It was sore, and now seems firm. There is also a fluid sack next to the elbow. ???
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Elbow bursitis.

Detailed Answer:

From your description, it seems that you have an elbow bursitis. This condition appears due to some injury which may be a compression of this area.

It feels like a fluid sac indeed as it contains some fluid there.

This fluid should be drained with a needle. The fluid should be checked with a possible infection in it. Lukewarm compresses, Diclofenac and avoiding injury of this area usually helps.

If no improvement, steroid injection is the next step. You should consult a surgeon with it.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Grzegorz Stanko, General Surgeon