Are orthodontic X-rays safe?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - July 2014
July 2014

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Question
Are X-rays or imaging used by orthodontists completely safe?
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
diagnostic XRAYS are safe

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the diagnostic X rays used by orthodontists include intraoral periapical radiograph, Orthopantomograph and lateral cephalogram is concerned, all these have very negligible effect on the body. So these x rays are safe. You can get it done. You can wear lead apron and thyroid collar to avoid exposure of the other parts of the body while taking x rays of technology head and neck region.
I hope I have answered your query. if you have any queries reply me back. take care.

Follow-up: Are orthodontic X-rays safe? 14 hours later
These X-rays or imaging used by orthodontists don’t cause harm or physical changes to face/head or body? Also, are they safe for eyes and vision, don’t cause harm or changes in eyes/vision? Thanks!

Brief Answer:
no harmful effects on face, head , body and eyes

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.
Nothing to worry about these diagnostic x-rays. These will not harm you face or head or body. Even for the eyes they will not cause any harm since they are diagnostic radiations. The exposure used in orthodontics is very minimal it will not have any harmful effects.
I hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries reply me back. Take care

Follow-up: Are orthodontic X-rays safe? 3 hours later
orthodontic X-rays or imaging or radiation from these X-rays/imaging doesn’t cause any changes to bone structure of face/head such as change in position of facial/head bones or flattening of facial/head bones or anything like that? Thinking it’s just paranoid thoughts. Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
no adverse effects, nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.
There are no adverse effects of these diagnostic radiographs on the face, head and your body. Nothing to worry.
I hope I have answered your query. Take care