Are optic nerve swelling and leg tremors suggestive of post polio syndrome?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 15 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have post polio syndrome. I am currently taking hydrocodone 5mg alfuzosin 10mg sertraline 100mg atorvastatin 80mg omeprazole 20mg cetirizine 10mg, lisinopril 20mg,fin astride 5mg,probenecid 500mg,metformin2000mg,hztz 5mg. Zinc220mg, magnesium 400mg, coenzyme q10. BGets injection one a day. Swelling of optic nerve both eyes. at the present time my right leg goes into shaking eppisodes, first I get dizzie then my leg shakes uncontribely. This happens when I stand up. Thanks for your help. XXXXXXX XXXX YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some tests are necessary

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

That description does not seem related to polio or post polio syndrome which normally cause flaccid weakness not spastic one which might have manifested that symptom. Those attacks of uncontrolled shaking of a limb fulfill the description of a partial seizure, abnormal discharge in a brain area which when it is a motor area responsible for a limb can cause its shaking. It can happen due to damage from stroke, tumor etc, at times the cause remains unidentified after testing as well, but some tests are necessary which include brain imaging through MRI and an EEG.
The fact that it happens when you stand up raises also the possibility of a transitory lack of blood supply to the brain. That can be due to orthostatic hypotension (although limb shaking is not typical) so blood pressure evaluation supine and standing is necessary for that. Also a narrowing in the caliber of the neck vessels supplying the brain on one side may cause or exacerbate this lack of blood supply. It can be evaluated either by doppler ultrasound or if you're scheduled for the above mentioned MRI could be evaluated during that procedure.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.