Are numbness and tingling sensation in the foot and ankle healing signs after arthroscopic surgery?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 3 Jun 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a little numbness and a lot of tingling in my right foot and ankle. Is this normal part of the healing process?
I had arthroscopic repair done almost six months ago.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a nerve root compression.

Detailed Answer:

The tingling and numbness that you have are less likely to be related to the arthroscopic surgery you had. This can be related to a mild nerve root compression at the lower back.

Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause tingling and pins and needle sensations.

Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out diabetes mellitus. Also, get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vitamin B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

I hope this answers your query.

Dr. Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon