Are nightmares after taking Ativan normal?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Ativan is taken by my Grandpa and it gives him bad dreams:
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to speak to the doctor and have it removed

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your question.

Vivid or even "bad" dreams including other very odd behaviors such as hallucinations and loss of memory are potential side effects of Ativan. Sometimes a drug such as Ativan is necessary for a person's health. Other times there are alternatives that are much better and less troublesome in terms of side effects if the drug is being used simply as a sleep agent or a means to relax him due to anxiety, fear, etc. There are complementary types of medications that can relax folks that do not have addictive or dependency issues and if taken in proper quantities can even help relax people enough to sleep such as inositol, theanine, melatonin, and others.

CAUTION: Stopping Ativan abruptly in any patient can result in convulsive seizures therefore, he should be slowly weaned off depending upon the amount he's taking and the length of time he's been taking the drug.

Bottom line.....either you or your grandpa should call the doctor's office and report the side effect. Second, I would have a discussion with the doctor to see if the actual underlying cause for why Ativan is being used in an elderly individual (not really a great option in my opinion) can be managed or treated by some alternative means. If not then, there should be a clear plan for usage of this class of medication (though it will have to be something different...advise staying from Xanax as this can be very difficult for some people to wean off).

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 32 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.