Are night sweats a symptom of HIV infection?

Posted on Fri, 9 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Dr. My husband is HIV positive, 5 to 6 weeks ago while having intercourse the condom ripped. I recently had cosmetic surgery, breast enhancement, tummy tuck and fat distribution in the body. in the last 10 days or so I have been having night sweats. i am somewhat concerned, is this a reaction from the extensive surgery, pain medications or possible HIV infection...
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low risk but Get tested for HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Though there is a low chance of transmission with undetectable viral load, the fact that you condom broke and you came into risky contact with an HIV positive individual should be kept in mind. To have peace of mind you should get tested for HIV. If the test is negative then it should be repeated after 3 months to be sure. Pain medication and postoperative recovery both can cause diaphoresis but there is no specific clue towards them being the cause. HIV should be ruled out on priority basis.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil