Are negative 4th generation HIV test reports 7 weeks after exposure conclusive?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had unprotected sex with someone i barely knew about over 2 months ago. 7 weeks after exposure i went to get a 4th gen antibody with a approximate to positivity is 15 to 20 days and also a western blot viral load test from my doctor. At first he said for the viral load test there would have to be 1000 copies of the virus for it to show up positive. But when the results came back he told me that viral load test is so sensitive now that the cut off is 1-5 copies/ml in a approximate time to positivity is 5 days. Both of my test are negative and he said that the results are 100% and no need for retesting. So with all that information can anyone reassure me that he is right?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes for sure.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

You had unprotected sex with someone but 7 week post exposure 4th gen and western blot tests both are negative then there is nothing to worry at all as you are absolutely safe and free from HIV.

Your doctor is absolutely right that no need for any further test so be relaxed, forget about the episode and move ahead in life happily. If still any doubt is there feel free to ask me and I am here to help you.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 49 minutes later
With the ultrasensitive viral load test and 4th gen antibody there shouldnt be any false negative and aremy results 100% conclusive? If i was positive can you explain to me why one test would show up positive and the other wouldnt?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not possible.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

It is not possible to get false positive result after 6 weeks of exposure with both the tests and also it is not possible that one test would show positive while other would show negative if you are positive so just relax as you are safe and risk free.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 11 minutes later
I thought that if ur positive and there arent enough antibody to detect yet then there would be enough virus to be detected. Is it possible for a doctor to say something is 100% when it isnt without getting in some type of trouble?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it is not possible.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

It is absolutely obvious that any doctor will tell that you are 100% safe when it is so. You are too much anxious or worried nothing else. Allay the HIV fear and get relaxed because you are definitely safe.

Thank You