Are nausea, weakness and cold sweats side effects of Pirfenidone?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am 75 years old, and diagnosed with IPF 1 1/2 years ago. I get along pretty well and use supplemental O2 when exerting. I am taking perfenidone, a drug which supposedly slows the progression of IPF. Four times over the last year I have experienced episodes with the following symptoms:
-- Episodes always start after about an hour after eating and taking perfenidone
-- Starts with a tightness in upper abdomen
-- Feeling nauseous, but can't/don't vomit
-- Get incredibly weak, find it difficult to walk
-- Urge to have a BM, usually do, stools are soft
-- Get the cold sweats
After drinking water and resting I go back to normal.

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Side effect of Pirfenidone, consult your doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HealthcareMagic.

I can understand your concern.

Let me provide you some information--

Pirfenidone is a drug approved for the treatment of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis by FDA 2-3 years ago. It has anti-fibrotic features and has shown to improve the quality of life in these group of patients.

Besides its positive effects, it has some side effects too.
They might be manly gastrointestinal related to with nausea or vomiting, abdominal discomfort, sweating too.

So in my opinion, your complains are probably due to the side effects of the treatment .

It would be better to consult your treating doctor who will advise/modify the dosage further. S/He maybe stop Pirfenidone and change with another one like Nintedanib.

Please discuss this with your doctor.
Do not worry and feel free to ask me again.
Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee