Are nausea, lower abdominal cramps and fatigue signs of pregnancy?

Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I have taken 6 home pregnancy test and all came back negative. I'm having all symptoms of pregnancy including nausea all day long, lower abdominal cramping, fatigue and starting to get a small baby belly (or as it seem) I had my period two weeks ago but was abnormal and only lasted two days and was very light compared to my usual week long period.
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If your pregnancy tests are all negative, then you are not pregnant

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

Many of the symptoms that are commonly associated with pregnancy like feeling bloated, nausea, breast tenderness, irregular bleeding, and mood changes can also be caused by hormone imbalances that can cause irregular periods. If you do not ovulate one month for some reason, the hormones from your previous cycle do not get the proper signal to drop, which is why your period was shorter than usual.

Having an irregular menstrual cycle can be caused by stress, weight changes, travel, and also by medical conditions like thyroid disease.

To make you feel better, an evaluation of your hormones could be done by a gynecologist, and they could prescribe medication that can help reset your period. Many women will resume normal cycling on their own, but you may feel better faster with hormonal treatment.

So I want to reassure you again that you are not pregnant, and your symptoms are caused by a buildup of hormones in your system. When you get a normal period again, on your own or with the aid of medication, your symptoms will get better.

I hope I was able to adequately answer your question today, and that my advice was helpful. If you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Dr. Brown

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee