Are nausea, loss of appetite and rash along jawline suggestive of staph infection?

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: My daughter and I both presented with a rash along the jawline, honey colored and crunchy to the touch. It went away for a while with Mupirocin, but hers and mine seem to be coming back gradually. She is experiencing nausea, loss of appetite and is sleeping much more than normal. I am experiencing pain in my knees, elbows and in my back in neck. Is it possible to have the staph in our blood without showing symptoms of a fever?
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Appears some viral or bacterial infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

It appears from the history that you both had some sort of viral or bacterial infection. The patient who have staph infection in blood will present with fever. I would suggest you both to get complete haemogram and urinalysis done. You can also get blood culture sensitivity done. Follow up with reports. You both can take acetaminophen for pain relief. Do not touch the rashes. Keep the hygiene maintained. Eat protein rich balanced diet with multivitamins and calcium supplements. Drink plenty of water. Anti emetic can be taken for vomiting. Rest advised for few days. If pain worsens you must visit a physician for proper physical examination. You can apply antibiotic cream on the area thrice daily.

Hope I answered your query
Rating and review will be appreciated
Dr Sheetal Verma