Are nausea, light sensitivity and severe headache indicative of meningitis?

Dr. Varinder Joshi

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2019 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My daughter has been suffering from a severe headache, nausea, and light sensitivity. She went to the ER 4 days ago. She had an MRI,which was normal. She was diagnosed with a migraine and given an IV cocktail. That eased the HA enough for her to bear it. She has never recovered. Now 4 days later the HA is back full force with a new symptom of a stiff neck and sore shoulders. Could this be meningitis?
Answered by Dr. Varinder Joshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

investigation

Detailed Answer:

The stiffness of the neck and sore shoulder may be indicative of cervical strain and meningitis. For diagnosis of cervical strain please undergo X-ray cervical spine ap and lateral view.

For meningitis get the lab work as TLC, DLC, CRP. But meningitis is usually diagnosed by CSF and clinical examination by a doctor.

In meningitis, a person has a fever as well.
As per 31 yrs age, I will consider cervical strain as the first possibility. Migraine as the second possibility. And meningitis as the third possibility.

Take her to the ER. Till your ER visit, you may give her analgesic.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Varinder Joshi , General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D