Are nausea, fatigue, loss of appetite and mild headache symptoms of jet lag?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: Are the following signs of jet lag or something else?

-insomnia- can't sleep more than 3 hrs a night for the past 10 nights. 12 nights ago i returned from an 8 day trip to Thailand.
- loss of appetite
- fatigue
- dizziness/feeling faint (mildly)
- nausea
- muscles feel weak
- mild headache
- episodic diarrhea (sometimes violent urges to go)
- episodic vomiting
- episodic night sweats
- episodic chills
- episodic RUQ pain (sharp stabbing pain that only lasts for a few minutes)
- i do NOT feel feverish

My chief, most consistent complaint is lack of sleep. I feel like a zombie. I also feel like my legs are incredibly weak. When i walk i feel at risk for tipping over. However, when i am experiencing the GI issues those become my chief complaint.

All of my symptoms are mild to moderate, but because i have a full time job they are affecting my concentration at work and i am finding that i am falling behind.

Also, i have travelled to XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX before (from the US) and have never had jet lag.

During my trip to Thailand i did travel to the border of laos and burma and i also went fresh water fiahing in phang na (2 hours outside of phuket). I got in the lake (waist deep) to take pictures with the fish i caught. I did not eat the fish. I mostly ate cooked vegetarian food from restaurants, not street vendors, and all but twice i had bottled water (except when brushing my teeth).

Before my trip i was fine. During my trip I was fine. I did not take any travel medications prior to my trip as i had not planned on going outside of the major cities. I deviated from that plan once in country. I did receive about 5 mosquito bites despite diligent use of bug spray. One bite above my ankle was particularly itchy and inflammed. This bite happened during my fishing trip. The other bites were on my arms and seemed like regular bites.

Other helpful info -
i am taking armour (60 mcg) for underactive thyroid.

My menstrual cycle should start within the next 2-3 days. Prior to my period i am always dead tired, and i can easily sleep 10 -12 hrs straight for a day or two before going back to normal. Insomnia is unusual for me, especially so close to my period.

I have streaks of blood on the tissue after urination, but being so close to my period that is not unusual for me.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
Yes you might be having jet lag associated with a gastrointestinal infection which might have occurred due to food consumption outside.
The symptoms of muscle aches, tiredness, body aches are consistent with viral infection or tiredness due to lack of sleep.
In my opinion you should get investigated.
You should get:
1. Complete blood count.
2. Typhoid Dot IgM - for typhoid
3. Urine routine.
Till you get the reports you should be started on a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone that would help you with stomach upset.
If investigations suggest any evidence of infection you would require antibiotics.
For jet lag you can ask your doctor to prescribe you Zolpidem for short course.
I am hopeful all this is going to help you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.