• question-icon

Are nausea and fatigue signs of diverticulitis?

Posted on Sat, 1 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I frequently experience nausea or do not enjoy eating unless I have a bowel movement before eating. Eating often that induces me to have a bowel movement. Occasionally I have black stools. Also after a very large bowel movement I experience increased pulse rate, tiredness, nausea and have to lay down for an hour to let my body settle down. I have signs of diverticulitis and have had treatment for a hiatus hernia and Barret's oesophogitis and had a fundoplication and mesh implant to fix the problem. Is this iritable bowel symptom or something else?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to GERD

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your problem seems to be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) and not due to irritable bowel syndrome. Barrett's esophagus is a serious complication of GERD and is associated with hiatus hernia. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper. This slowing down of the bowel movements would lead to constipation and thus would make you vulnerable to diverticulitis. So, all the things are related. It is possible that you also have peptic ulcer and the bleeding from it could lead to black stools.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Get an upper GI endoscopy done for confirmation.
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals. Take plenty of water.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep (fluoxetine) 20 mg tablet (long term anxiolytic and a prescription drug) once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in). Discuss about this with your treating physician.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha