Are my breasts hurting due to heavy period with clots?

Dr. Deepak Anvekar

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Hi my period was 2 days late, have had burning feeling in my right breast and bad stomach cramps. My period arrived it was heavy for 2 days with clots. It has now stopped on day 3 my breasts are still hurting and I have stomach cramps. I have taken a digital pregnancy test and it was negative. I had an ectopic pregnancy in October 2010. Any ideas what it might be? I'm 32 and generally healthy.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query,

From the history given, it seems that this was the first episode of delayed periods experienced by you. In case this is the fact, the symptoms experienced by you are due to change in hormonal levels which usually affect the secretory tissues of the breast resulting in enlargement and discomfort. The cramps experienced by you are uterine contractions associated during periods and are very benign.

Your symptoms due to benign changes in hormonal levels will resolve within a few days. In case the symptoms are intolerable, they can subside with intake of OTC medications (Naprosyn or ibuprofen).

Since you already have had your period as well as the pregnancy test has been negative, you need not worry about your prior history of ectopic pregnancy and possible recurrence. In cases of ectopic pregnancy, periods can be delayed for longer durations (upto 2 weeks) and not for a few days and symptoms will be very severe, causing you to seek immediate medical attention.

But in case, similar episodes of heavy periods, cramps, and breast discomfort have occurred earlier, then you might consider undergoing a physical examination by a OB-GYN doctor and then if needed tests including a ultrasound to rule out other conditions that cause such bleeding can be ordered. Such conditions include fibroids, dysfunctional uterine bleeding, etc.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.

I shall be available for any follow up questions if you have any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T