Are muscle weakness, memory loss and headache signs of vitamin B12 deficiency?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I got my annual health checkup done recently. My vitamin B12 has come at 191 . This is as compared to 373 in April 2015. In april 2014, the value was 245. Between 2014-2015, I was on high protein diet including lots of egg whites and has also taken whey protein. From October 2015, I have come off the same to a regular diet. The reason I am worried about Vitamin B12 is that I seemed to having the majority of the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency at times like memory loss, loss of concentration, headache/numbness in back of head, I gained muscle very little and very slowly despite aggressive exercise and diet, I also have dryness/blur in my eyes occasionally for which I consulted eye specialist but everything is fine and I just use refresh tears/natural tears etc.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start on Vitamin B12 supplement

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
Vitamin B12 deficiency is very common in vegetarians and Eggetarians as well as rich source of Vitamin B12 are non vegetarian foods specially the liver.
Since you have the symptoms as well as the Vitamin B12 deficiency noted in blood test, you should start with Vitamin B12 supplement, commonly available in market as Cap Neurokind Gold.
Take one capsule once a day for 3 months and get your Vitamin B12 assay repeated again.
I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 5 minutes later
Is there any mg prescribed for thr capsule or does it come only in one standard dose.. I would also like to know the ideal level at my age. Further, if I look at the change over last year, is there something I need to do to prevent it from falling again after it has receovered with the prescribed medicine
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take One Capsule a day

Detailed Answer:
Hi, it comes in standard dosing for to be taken once daily after meals.
Your Vitamin B12 levels should lie with in the normal range, and there are no ideal levels for any age.
I would say, you can increase consumption of green leafy vegetables in diet and carry on with your routine activities.
Good Luck.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 15 minutes later
Why I asked levels was, as the range starts from 187 as per report. Also, any reason for decline from last year
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Varies

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Actually this varies from lab to lab as every lab has it's own reference range.
In general, we say, it should be with in the range, but if someone has symptoms and the value is just at the borderline, we advice the supplement for this purpose.

So, if you ask me strictly your levels, i would say you should maintain it around 300.

Good Luck.