Are multiple myeloma and throat cancer genetically inherited?

Posted on Wed, 14 Oct 2015 in Cancer
Question: Hello Doctor,

I am XXXX with age 27 years. I wanted to share my parents medical history and need to take advice.

My Father was a throat cancer patient due to intense smoking habit and got surgery treatment after which he lost his voice. Moving further he got complete cure and was doing well but unfortunately he died after met with an accident.

Now after 8 Years to my father, my mother is diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma Cancer and she is undergoing for Bone Marrow transplant.

Now there is one question always roam around to me that it can be genetic. It can also happens to me as well. Could you help me in this regard that what all measures can be taken from my side to avoid this? Is my worry is genuine?

Since then, I am feeling emotionally very weak and sad due to my mother. Being single parent I am too worried as well. Mean while I am also worried about my self.

Some how I started feeling fear, frustration and lot of unhappiness which brings me lot of negativity.

Would love to know your feedback and suggestions. Also If there is any thing which I should change in my life style, eating habits etc will also help.

Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Relevant safety measures suggested.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I understand your concern.

I feel sorry for your current state of affairs.

Genetic risk factors exist for both throat cancer and MM.

For throat cancer-

1.Avoid smoking and alcohol completely if any.
2.Avoid chewing pan and other addictive drugs.
3.Avoid Hot and spicy foods.
4.Avoid salted pickles.
5.Avoid exposure to fumes and air pollutants.
6.Maintain good and hygienic ventilation at home and workplace.

For Multiple Myeloma.

It is a disease of elderly age group.

MM has been reported in two or more first-degree relatives and in identical twins, although no evidence suggests a hereditary basis for the disease.

Ongoing research is investigating whether human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-Cw5 or HLA-Cw2 may play a role in the pathogenesis of multiple myeloma.

Hence, you can screen for the presence or absence of the same antigen.

1.Avoid exposure to hair dyes and petroleum products.
2.Avoid exposure to radiation.
3.Avoid exposure to pesticides and insecticides.
4.Avoid infections especially STI's(sexually transmitted).

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Prasanna Heijebu