Are mental confusion and memory issues in a person with history of treatments for blocked leg arteries early signs of stroke?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: My Father has just recently asked the same question in a short period of time. In the last hour he has asked what day it is...What month.
We are going to Jamaica next week and when we mentioned it he replied "Yea, right" as if to say we were lying.
He then went on to say how could we go to Jamaica when it is so cold out (we are in PA).
He has had some memory issues here and there but this is the worst I have seen.
My question is: Is he in any immediate danger? Should I be worried about an oncoming stroke? (He never had one)
He has smoked his whole life and has had several stints put in his legs to open up blood flow, I mention that as a possible link?
TY for any feedback.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Yes, there is a risk of stroke.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

The answer to your question is yes, there is actually a risk of stroke, transient ischemic attack.

So, before to travel to Jamaica an evaluation by the Neurologist and by imaging studies (brain MRI, ultrasound of the carotid arteries for a probable stenosis, cardiac ultrasound) is necessary to get a correct understanding of the situation.

In the meantime, Aspirin could be started if there are no contradictions.

Please discuss with your father's doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Dr. Erion Spaho
Neurologist, Surgical

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee