Are low WBC and Neutrophils levels in blood a concern?

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My WBC and Neutrophils are mildly low. I was in the ER about 3 months ago with a kidney infection. Recently I went to the MD with pain in the groin. My Md said the pain is not muscular. I am a 32 year old male. What could be going on with me?
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic and infection induced Neutropenia / Under Evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-Antibiotic and infection induced Neutropenia / Under Evaluation

Hi Dear !! Thanks for your query to HCM.
I reviewed facts of your query in context to your health issues and feel concerned about them.

My Primary Opinion-
In My opinion, in the given situation you seem to suffer from-?Neutropenia with ?IBS or with ? incompletely treated Renal infection.
Dear, the low wbc with low neutrophils lately found, indicates presence of sublinical infection-may be from untreated old kidney infection/ or as its in groin-it could be from undetected IBS with spastic sigmoid colon,if the pain is in left groin.Please update which groin-left/ right, you get pains.

As your recent check with doctor,cleared you of muscular pains,above causes need to be ruled with Consults from GI Surgeon and or Urologist, if need be.

Other causes need to be ruled out,after getting more details from you.

Reply to specific query of your's -
Q-1-What could be going on with me?
Ans-In view of the antibiotic and kidney infection history, the cause of your pain in groin and low wbc with low neutrophils, seems to be from incompletely treated infection in your body,which could be from old Kidney infection, or could be from undetected IBS with spastic colon, giving pains in groin lately.

Dear you need to Consult attending Physician to treat above health issues of yours, on the following lines.
Before that take following steps with family doctor to come out of the emergency health issues.

Do's Suggested-
Get urinalysis,Stools/blood checked and consult with family doctor.
Get antibiotics-like Ciprofloxacin with alkaline mixture-if its old renal infection/or Colitis with IBS.
/ anti-spasmodics-like dicyclomine with diclofenac would resolve the groin pains in 2 weeks time
Rest-for 8hrs, with Plenty of fluids /
Bland diet with rice, butter milk, for 2 weeks/
Tab Lactobacillus ds-1 2 times x 2 weeks to correct the changed bacterial bowel flora.
Tab filgrastim-to stimulate wbc increase from chronic low lying infection in? kidney / or in sigmoid colon.
Multivitamins to recoup general health.

Get script from family doctor and start above medicines.
Keep Me updated on reports of Urinalysis,Stool/blood tests

If you want to update more details and ask more update queries ,
You are most Welcome herewith !!

Good Day!!

Wishing Good Healthy Life in time to come!!

Dr.Savaskar M.N. XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad