Are light brown coloured stools, bloating and mucus in stool signs of IBS?

Dr. Samir Patil

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 20 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For months now when I have a BM its light brown and formed kind of soft mound, to mushy .i have bloating often , and when i wipe there is black specks on the toilet paper. Over a year ago I noticed a little mucus in my stool but nothing sense. My BM's have a variety of shapes and consistencies . I did over counter blood test strips a year ago and it was negative. But still worried about black specks that come and go, also a year ago I was put on B-12, B-6 shots for short time cause blood work came back saying I needed it. Could this be IBS,Crohn's,undigested food,low stomach acid ,what ????
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sounds like IBS.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the description that you have provided. Your symptoms seem to be due to IBS. However before saying that its IBS I would suggest you get a stool microscopy test done. In case the test is normal then it's.most likely to be IBS. The black specs could be partially or undigested food.

I would also suggest to check your TSH (Thyroid stimulating Hormone levels) and CBC (Complete blood count) in case they have not been done in the past 3 months.

Hope this helps
Dr Samir Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Samir Patil 3 hours later
I currently go to my Regular doctor every 6 months for blood work and check ups . I am on Synthroid 125mcg , and I have RA and occasionally take Prednisone on and off for about 2 weeks at a time for flare-ups. Should I look for a Gastroenterologist and or request any certain tests from my current doctor , to test for IBS ? Thanks !
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Only stool examination needed

Detailed Answer:
hello,
if you visit your doctor every six months he must be monitoring your thyroid status.
I would suggest together a still test for occult blood and stool microscopy examination. if the stool tests show presence of blood or pus cells (large number)then you need to see a gastroenterologist . If stools examination is normal then it is more likely to be IBS. your regular doctor can prescribe you medications for the same
hope this helps
regards
Dr Samir Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T