Are kegal exercises effective in treatment of dropped cervix?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I think my cervix has dropped as I can feel something uncomfortable, and when using a mirror can see what appears to be the same as diagram at http://www.YYYY.com/YYYY/picture-of-the-cervix -- i.e. the external OS. Is this something that will recover with Kegal exercises, or do I need to see a doctor? There is no other pain. I'm 73.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consult a Gynecologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am,
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.
I have gone through those images and according to that only small part of cervix is out from external sources but in your age chances of decubitus ulcer are more.
So its better to consult a Gynecologist and get yourself examined and see the degree of prolapse and see other organ came simultaneously or not like bladder and bowel.
Treatment decided after that only.
Hopefully found useful.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 4 hours later
Thank you, Doctor XXXXXXX I don't understand your comment about a decubitus ulcer. From what I understand, a decubitus ulcer is a bedsore that occurs externally on the skin.

I am a very active 73 year-old who doesn't have bedsores.

This is an internal problem. The part of the cervix that is showing at the vagina opening appears to have dropped down from the uterus, but the uterus is not dropped. I can push the OS back, but it doesn't stay back for long. It is not protruding, simply there at the entrance.

Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prolapse uterus.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am,
You are most welcome.
Decubitus ulcer is ulcer that occurs on the external surface ( in that case you are right).
But it can occur over cervical surface because in prolapse the part which is hanging out of external os,when come in contact with surface may cause ulcer.
I know with your description it is only small part of cervix comes out not uterus but it is better to be examined by a Gynecologist.
Yes pelvic floor exercise are helpful and push the part with the help of cotton ball inside during urination and defecation.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad