Are itching and swollen head of the penis slightly responded to Antifungal cream indicative of bacterial infection?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I believe I have Balanitis.

3 weeks back, I started experiencing itch under the foreskin and mild reddish rash on the pennis under the foreskin. Was NOT involved in any risky sexual encounter. I did have sex with my wife, but she does not have any yeast infection, at least not that she has any symptoms

I used topical antifungal cream and that seemed to hep, but it is still not completely gone. I do experience some itch, mild rash that comes and goes, and a feeling that the head of the pennis is a bit swolen. I have used the topical antifungal not for almost 3+ weeks each night.

My question is - could this be a bacterial infection and not a fungal one?
Could I apply a topical antibiotic such as neosporin under the foreskin and try to see if that helps?

Thanks
AJ
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yeast infection. Oral and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.? This seems like a yeast infection. I suggest you to apply a topical antifungal e.g clotrimazole 1 %cream, twice daily. In addition I suggest you to take an oral antifungal e.g tab fluconazole 150mg once a day for 3 days.