Are infants prone to viral infection more than adults?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: I currently have been very sick with a viral infection and bronchitis and everyone around her has caught some sort of cold and she has been exposed to it she's only 2 months old I'm nervous about what's going to happen how can I look out for signs
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Watch for fever.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Small babies are very prone to viral infections. Most childhood viral infections are not serious and include such diverse illnesses as colds with a sore throat, vomiting and diarrhea, and fever with a rash.If your baby is under 3 months old and has a temperature of 100.4 degrees F (38 degrees C) or higher, call the doctor immediately. A baby this young needs to be checked for serious infection or disease.
Fevers due to viruses can last for as little as two to three days and sometime as long as two weeks. A fever caused by a bacterial infection may continue until the child is treated with an antibiotic.
Below are a few steps to keep your child safe from contracting viral infections:

If a family member is suffering from flu, instruct him/her to maintain distance from the baby as he is very susceptible to catching such infections
Wash baby’s clothes separately
Sterilize the baby’s utensils, if any
Encourage washing of hands as often as possible and follow good hygiene habits
Continue breast feeding.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T