• question-icon

Are indentations on thigh, hematomas and hip pain common post major accident?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a 62 year old female with MS. Five months ago I was hit by a truck and pinned against a loading dock resulting in crush injuries (no fractures - extreme bone density test, LOL) between my hips and knees. Still have some hematomas and large indents on my thighs. I have finished my physio - but I still have hip pain and walking has become an even bigger issue. Is this common? Will it eventually subside?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The pain can be persistent. Physiotherapy will help.

Detailed Answer:
An extensive soft tissue injury can take many months to heal and can even cause extensive scarring of the muscles causing the painful movements. Regular physiotherapy, hot compress, muscle relaxants and pain killers can help in proper rehabilitation. It is good that there is no bone injury. But the soft tissue injury and associated nerve injuries can cause the persistent pain. Do continue with the regular physiotherapy to regain the strength of your muscles.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Thank you for you quick response. I understand the my MS diagnosis complicates things.
I continue with my exercises from the physio and I will continue to follow up with my physician. I guess my biggest concern is the pain (especially during the night and when it limits my day to day life). I have always had a very high tolerance to pain and developed coping mechanisms (due to the MS) to keep pain in the background. I try to limit pain medication. The pain (and the limitations is causing) seems to be getting worse instead of better.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain is more due to crushing of nerves.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pain is more in crush injuries rather than clean cut wounds as more of the nerve endings are crushed. In addition to the pain medications, pregabalin and gabapentin can help in dealing with such nerve related pains. Do consult your physician and get these drugs prescribed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon