Are immunosuppressants advisable only after a bone marrow test in treating Crohn's disease?

Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi

I have been diagnosed with Chrons and Fibromyalgia.
I recently returned elevated Serum Light Chains <20 mine was 35 . I went on prediszone for one month for Chrons and the Serum Light Chains elevation came down, now since I have been off predizone for a month the Serum Light Chains as well as the Kappa chains have elevated again past what they were before. I have this intermittent pain in my right top arm and now I am getting it on and off in my left top arm. I also can get it in my right top leg and my left top leg ( thigh area).
My Gastronologist informed me it would be because of the flare I am having with Chrones.
However I went and saw a Haematologist and he said one should not assume. He is undertaking Bone Marrow test this week as he said this is the only sure way to ensue I do not have any blood issues before my Gastro puts me on immunosuppressant's ( Humira). Do you think I am doing the right thing in waiting till I have these tests undertaken to eliminate blood or malignancy before I commence a immunosuppressant ( Humira). ?
Also my blood pressure tests was 120/98 is this considered normal ?
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bone marrow

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

In my opinion you should start the immunosuppressant after the bone marrow exams.It will be better because the most significant side effect of immunosuppressant drugs is an increased risk of infection
To start the therapy after this procedure doesn’t affect your health issue

Your blood pressure it’s normal .You should not be conserd for this

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj