Are headaches, dizziness and blockages in the ears indicative of migraine?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Apr 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have severe headache, dizziness & sensation of blockage in ears, is this related to migraine?

The headache is primarily on the sides of the head, the part between your ears & eyes. This happening since last 4 weeks. I also feel dizzy several times & have a sensation of blocked ears like we feel while descending from high altitude. I feel this started with stress in office which is much less now but the headache & dizziness continues.

Please advise as I've already consulted 4 doctors.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

It can be from migraine but other causes need to be excluded.

Detailed Answer:

Headache is a common symptom and there are more than 100 causes for headaches and should not be ignored.

If the headache is persisting for more than 4 weeks without significant relief and there is associated dizziness then you need to get detailed testing done.

The common causes of headache are migraine headache with or without aura, sinusitis headache, tension headache, and cluster headaches.

Your headache can be from any of the above but it is necessary to rule out other causes.

As a specialist, I can suggest you discuss with your doctors and get a CT brain scan done to exclude other serious causes of headaches.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Vivek Chail, Radiologist