Are headache, cloudy thoughts and increased appetite in a pre-diabetic with history of binge drinking require attention?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Tue, 18 Sep 2018 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: 24 year old male experiencing head issues like Tension head aches, cloudy thoughts, ill feeling and having constant hunger. I was beer binging for the last 3 Years. Recently cut back on drinking beer but prior to that I was drinking 20 plus beers a week but less than 40. I now usually drink bout 8 beers every 2 weeks on the weekend. I notice my tolerance is way high and drinking for me is not the same anymore. Not sure if my head issues are from anxiety, depression or brain chemical imbalance or from my organs or being pre diabetic. I do experience heart palpations every so often but I’m sure that’s from anxiety. Blood pressure is normal not sure about blood sugar. I try to stay active 3 to 4 times a week either walking or jogging 3 to 5 miles. Not sure if I should go see a doctor for blood test and evaluation
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoid binge drinking. Please taper down alcohol consumption Slowly.

Detailed Answer:

The headache and associated symptoms you are experiencing are likely due to the effect of binge drinking and withdrawal due to cutting back on alcohol intake.

Since your symptoms are mild and you are staying active, most likely do not require professional help to break the binging habit.

I'd recommend that you slowly cut back on the amount of alcohol and avoid binge drinking.

Moderate alcohol consumption means restricting to one 12 ounce beer per day without ever binging even on weekends.

Slowly reducing the amount of drinking in moderation will help with your symptoms.

You can take Tylenol (Paracetamol) three times daily after some food to help with the headache.

As there's history of binging for many years, I'd recommend getting complete blood and differential count and Liver function test also done.

Fatty liver is a concern in individuals who engage in binge drinking.

So please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for necessary blood evaluation.

Hope this answers your question.

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee