Are headache, blurred vision and nausea signs of transient ischemic attack?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: My father got up from bed and when he tried to communicate a request to my mother, he could not express himself verbally (find the words). He did not have any of the FAST symptoms of a stroke or headache, blurred vision, nausea, etc. He could write sentences, knew who the president was, and said he otherwise felt fine. We gave him baby aspirin anyway. How to know if this was not a TIA? Should we take him to the hospital or wait to see how he feels at breakfast?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
He needs to undergo a MRI of brain.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Even if did not have any other symptoms, sudden onset word-finding difficulty is good enough indication to rule out a stroke. He should undergo a MRI of brain in this scenario, which will actually differentiate if it was a stroke or TIA.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
We did take him to the hospital and he has been given a CT scan. Will a CT Scan yield the same distinction between stroke and TIA?
That is ... will the CT be as effective as the MRI and should we request an MRI too?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI is better.

Detailed Answer:
HI,
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Initially, MRI is more sensitive.Small strokes may be missed on CT in early hours.

So, if the symptoms are very minor and improved, MRI should be preferred to differentiate stroke and TIA.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 11 hours later
Thank you Dr. Panwar for the distinction. Good to know. He followed up with a neurologist today and is feeling better.

Best regards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wish him a good health

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

I wish for him a good health.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread, rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)