Are fruits and probiotic consumption advisable while on Seroquel for insomnia?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I take 50-100mg/nightly of seroquel for insomnia due to divorce stress. I know to not eat grapefruit but are probiotics (yogurt) and other fruits safe to eat?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Other probiotics are safe...

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question. I remember you from before, and I am glad Seroquel is working for you.

You're exactly right. Seroquel is metabolized in the liver via the cytochrome system. Grapefruit and grapefruit juice affect the cytochrome system which can lead to altered levels in the blood. However, probiotics, all types of yogurt, and other fruits other than grapefruit are entirely safe to eat.

I see you have asked many specialist questions, and I would be happy to provide more continuity to your electronic care here at HealthCareMagic. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX psychiatrist working in New York City. For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, or individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad