Are frequent ultrasound check ups harmful to the fetus?
I have had a scan most weeks since my 7th week (I'm 14 weeks today) to check on the baby as I feel so very anxious about the pregnancy.
I read a lot on the internet and have found that there are those out there that say that ultrasound are harmful to the fetus because of the heat, vibrations etc. I am mostly worried about whether they can affect the baby's brain. I am hoping I have not done any damage inadvertently.
And also, I used a hot water bottle on my lap (not on my belly) but my belly did feel warm so I was then was worried that it might also cause the baby to get too hot by heating up the amniotic fluid.
Ultrasound or hot bag does not affect baby
Good to know you are doing well at 14 weeks already. Thats good news.
There are is no need to worry about ultrasound scan or hot water bag. Both of them will not affect baby.
Ultrasound scan does not generate heat or vibrations. It generates on sound waves. Hence it does not harm fetus. Dont worry.
Hot water bag kept on abdomen or lap dies not heat up amniotic fluid so easily as skin and subcutaneous fat takes away all the and it does not reach uterus or amniotic fluid.
Everything is going on well. There is nothing to worry about.
Let me know if you have any more doubts.
Dr. Mahesh Koregol
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ultrasound of 9 week fetus
- Enlarged kidney in fetus ultrasound
- Aging bovine fetus ultrasound
- 28 week fetus ultrasound
- No fetus at 8 weeks ultrasound
- What are the harmful effects of ultrasound on the fetus
- Lipomeningocele ultrasound findings in fetus
- Hydrocephalus in fetus using ultrasound
- Dilated kidney in fetus ultrasound
- Small stomach in fetus ultrasound
- Have l 5 injuries. Had three IVF pregnancies, failed. Is i 5 injury the...
- How fertyl m works for men having very low sperm count?
- Increasing follicle size. Need trigger shot for ovulation?
- Pregnant. Had tender breasts and felt queasy. But, symptoms stopped and...
- Took enema with enema kit. Some amount left. Is there any reason for...
- Period delayed. How to take mtpill and mitoprost?
- Can I ask to be sedated so that I can relax and get through the exam...
- Pain in throat, jumping eye lid, pain in chest, stabbing pain in...
- Ovaries hurt after an orgasm masturbation, stinging sensation. What...
- On adderall. Can it result in nagging dull pain below rib cage?