Are frequent bowel movements normal in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor, I have a 80day old daughter and she is passing motion 5 times a day is it normal and when should I check if it's diarrhea?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal for age

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns.

Let me assure you that for a baby of this age, it is normal to pass stool several times a day or even after each feed. Alternatively, the child may pass stool once in 10 days and that is normal too. Unless the stool is hard and pellet like you need not be concerned.

It is also normal to pass green stool or a combination of yellow stool. The green color occurs due to rapid transit through large intestine where the bile pigments do not get adequate time to convert to the yellow color of stool. It is also normal to pass green stool or a combination of yellow stool.

Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee