• question-icon

Are frequent blockage in nose, breathing difficulty and snoring signs of adenoids?

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My Daughter 4 years old has frequent problem of blocked nose, unable to breath through nose in the night, snoring and running nose. Doctors suspect it may be due to enlarged adenoids. Kindly advice if this needs a surgery ?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is a common problem.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The adenoid tissue behind the nose enlarges in all children between the ages of 3 to 7 years. Thereafter it decreases in size and disappears by the around 12 to 15 years of age.

2. Upload an image of the X-ray skull lateral view for adenoids for an accurate assessment.

3. Initial treatment must be medical. First the cold and running nose is treated followed by long term treatment with nasal steroids, anti allergic, mucolytic, supervised steam inhalation and occasional use of nasal decongestant drops.

4. This medical therapy helps avoid surgery in most children.

5. Those children who do not improve after a few weeks to months are then advised surgery.

6. If surgery is required, Coblation assisted surgery is recommended.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Attaching the blood reports as of now as i am still waiting for X ray
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload the X-ray for further advice.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The attached blood test reports are fine.

2. Upload the X-ray for further advice.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later
Attached couple of x-ray images
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medical management. No surgery required at present.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The enlarged adenoid tissue seen in the X-ray is consistent with any normal child at her age, regardless of the report. The black nasopharyngeal air shadow is clearly seen (between the back of the nose and upper throat), which is slightly narrowed by the adenoids.

2. She will respond to medical treatment. Surgery is not indicated at this moment.

3. Surgery is required only if her symptoms, adenoid size increase in spite of maximum medical treatment for 6-8 weeks.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later
Please advice medication for this condition and wat to avoid to stop triggering this again
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get this prescription from your doctor.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. An anti allergic, mucolytic (such as Syp. Relent 1 tsp twice a day), nasal steroids (such as Mometasone 2 sprays per nostril once a day), supervised steam inhalation and occasional use of nasal decongestant drops (xylometazoline 0.05% such as Otrinoz-P, not more than ten days in a row) will be helpful. A trial of at least 15 days should be taken.

2. Inform your doctor before starting these medications.

3. Watch her symptoms over a few weeks, repeat an X-ray if necessary and revert.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist