question-icon

Are flu shots safe to take after recovering from an infection?

Posted on Fri, 12 Oct 2018
Question: I contracted flu in late January of this year. It lasted just shy of 4 weeks. A few weeks after I healed from that infection, I contracted the flu again. This time it has been now 8 days and I still cough, have nasal congestion , but, have begun to cough up mucus. The question, is it wise or safe upon regaining my health to get a flu shot after two infections?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (6 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Better not to take flu vaccine now.

Detailed Answer:

It is advisable not to take flu shot now.

The flu shot is indicated 4 weeks after acute infection.
Since it is only 8 days and you still cough, better not to take flu vaccine now.

Wait for 2-3 weeks more and if you are asymptomatic after 2-3 weeks then you can take the flu vaccine.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Kaushal Bhavsar, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist